Yes, you can use upholstery fabric for curtains and drapery. There are a few things to consider before ordering upholstery fabric for your next curtain or drapery project.
So, you’ve moved into a new house or your old curtains seem out of date. Do you want to change things up a bit? Getting new curtains can set the tone for the rest of the room, but what type of fabric can I use? A question we get at Revolution Performance Fabric a lot is, “Can I use upholstery fabric for curtains and drapery?” Yes, you can! Let’s discuss the pros and cons of using upholstery fabric for curtains and drapery.
Pros of using Upholstery Fabric for Drapery
- Performance fabric is great for drapery because they can be cleaned, and they repel stains
- Durable and usually has a higher double rubs score than Drapery fabric
- Variety of thicker, heavier looking fabrics for a more formal, tailored look than a thinner drapery fabric
- Can be a non-backed upholstery fabric that is machine washable making cleaning a breeze
Cons of using Upholstery Fabric for Drapery
- Upholstery fabric can be smaller width than the window you are trying to hang curtains from. Most upholstery fabric is 54 inches to 60 inches wide. With smaller projects and windows, the upholstery fabric shouldn’t be an issue. With larger windows, you’ll need to find an extra-wide drapery fabric.
- Upholstery fabrics could have a backing. When woven upholstery backing is made, the manufacturers can put an acrylic, latex, or laminate backing that makes the fabric stiff. The pattern on the front will also not be on the back. This is an issue because your drapes and curtains will be seen from the inside of the house, and outside as well. You’ll need to choose and upholstery or drapery fabric that does not have a backing.
Revolution Performance Fabrics as Drapery and Tablecloths
When it comes to drapery, curtains, tablecloths, and slipcovers, Revolution Performance Fabrics has an amazing line of non-backed upholstery fabric. Over the past couple of years, we have had several customers ask about using our fabric for drapery, curtains, tablecloths, and slipcovers. Our Revolution Plus is a great non-backed upholstery fabric that has been used by several designers and upholstery experts to create amazing non-upholstered projects. Below are some of those projects that could maybe spark a project of your own. Just remember if you are using upholstery fabric for drapery, curtain, tablecloth, or slipcover, be sure to choose Revolution Plus Performance Fabrics. Thanks for reading.